Want to donate your used books to The Red Door?
We get our used books from a variety of places, but one of the biggest sources of quality used books is from the general public. If you've got quality used books that you'd like to find a new home for, feel free to bring them by our store in historic downtown Mebane.
We are temporarily suspending buying books from the public.
Guidelines for donating or trading used books
- Please do not bring any more than about 3-4 boxes or bags of books at a time. If you have a house or garage full of books, we may be able to arrange a time to come to you, but this isn't guaranteed.
- You can bring used books in at any time during normal store hours. In most cases, we're able to look through your books while you wait, but in some cases, you may be asked to leave a phone number and/or email address and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.
- Please only bring books that are in decent condition. Books that are moldy, water damaged or are otherwise moderately to heavily damaged we won't be able to take, even as donations.
- Please do not bring in phonebooks, encyclopedias, magazines or newspapers.
We are still able to offer store credit for books, but not cash.
We carry a wide variety of books, but we're frequently asked if there are any particular kinds of books we're looking for. So while you're free to bring in a lot of different kinds of books, here's a short list of books that if you have, we'd like to take a look at them. This list will be updated weekly. Again, keep in mind, these are not the only books we're looking for, but it is a brief glimpse of books we've had customers ask about.
- Audiobooks on CD or Flash drive
- Anything by Roald Dahl
- Books on geology, minerals, gems etc.
- Harry Potter series
- Anything by Daniel Pinkwater
- Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty quartet
- Books on yoga
- Retro craft books (from the 1960s and 1970s)
- Books on the history of Mebane
- Calvin and Hobbes books
- Manga and graphic novels
- Stephen King's It and The Dark Tower books
- Dr. Seuss books
- Anything by Alan Watts
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid books
- Lemony Snicket books
- Anything by Haruki Murakami
- Eragon/Inheritance cycle books
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) by George RR Martin
Books and genres we're not currently buying:
- The Twilight series
- The 50 Shades of Grey series
- The Divergent series
If you have any questions, feel free to drop by, give us a call at 336-264-7673 or shoot us an email at email@example.com.